District‎ > ‎District News‎ > ‎

District wants storm shelter at Cabool Middle School!

posted Sep 16, 2015, 10:39 AM by Cabool R-IV Schools   [ updated Sep 28, 2015, 5:44 AM ]
District wants to build storm shelter at Middle School!

An extension of the Cabool R-IV School District’s contract with architect Sam Winn was approved by Cabool Board of Education Monday evening as the district looks at two major projects – window replacements to improve energy efficiency elementary and high schools and construction of a storm shelter at the middle school.

•Window replacement

Windows at Cabool Elementary School are single-glaze and some are also leaking, Winn told the school board. “This particular facility is the first that needs it done,” he said of the replacement proposal.

The wing at the high school that houses the science and home economics classes has similar problems and “some of those windows are falling out,” he said.

“Eventually, all those (windows) on campus that are not double-glaze need to be replaced.”

While the actual work to replace the windows would not take place until next summer, work needs to begin now to design, detail and bid the windows, Winn said.

The estimated cost of the project is not known at this time.

•Storm shelter

Students at the elementary and high schools have access to the community storm shelter at the high school in times of threatening weather, but there is no facility for middle school students. To remedy that, the district is seeking Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) grant funds to construct a storm shelter at the middle school.

Winn said a 3,250 square foot addition at the school would be needed. He suggested it be built on the south side of the building. When not needed as a storm shelter, the facility could be used as cafeteria space or classroom space.

The cost of the storm shelter was estimated at $666,250. If a FEMA grant is received, it would pay for 75% of the cost, or $499,687, with the school district paying the remaining 25%, $166,563.

It all hinges on receiving FEMA approval. “We don’t know when it will be funded or if it will be funded,” Winn said.

The district’s contract extension with Winn will run through August 17, 2017.




News Article By: The Cabool Enterprise
Comments